Wolfgang Leber was born in 1936 in Berlin. From 1957 to 1961 he lived in East Berlin and studied at the School of Art in Berlin-Charlottenburg in West Berlin and on to the University of the Fine Arts, West Berlin. The construction of the Berlin Wall, however, put an end to that opportunity. He worked as a graphic artist at the Volksbühne theatre (East Berlin) and was head of the Werkstudio Grafik. In 1981 he was awarded the Prize of the City of Berlin (East Berlin). He co-founded the Mai-Salon artists’ initiative in 1990 and taught at the Weissensee University of the Arts, the University of Applied Science in Berlin and at the University of Greifswald. Leber lives and works in Berlin.